What are nose to mouth lines?
The nose to mouth lines (nasolabial folds) are the indentation lines on either side of the mouth that extend from the edge of the nose to the mouth’s outer corners and are one of the earliest signs of aging. They can become more prominent when you smile and tend to deepen with age. Technically, through this natural ageing process, the central part of the face loses soft-tissue volume whilst the fat pads from the lateral parts of the face tend to thin and drop downwards.
Why have I got nose to mouth lines?
The most common factor in the deepening of nasolabial folds is age. Excessive weight loss can also cause the nose to mouth lines to become deeper in appearance.
Why are my nose to mouth lines becoming more noticeable?
This area can become more noticeable due to a variety of factors, including:
– loss of collagen with age, making the skin look weak and thin
– loss of fat, which can make the cheeks and nearby regions appear saggy
– sun exposure, which damages the skin, causing wrinkles and changes in texture
– As the skin ages, facial expressions can cause deeper wrinkles. Just as frequent scowling can cause lines near the eyebrows, smiling can make nasolabial folds deeper
– exposure to environmental pollutants
– rapid weight loss or frequent fluctuations in weight